Tuesday 16 January 2018

Winslow culottes & Gable top

How's 2018 going for you so far? It's not been too shabby for me, and I've got a couple of projects finished and ready to share with you today. I decided to kick off this year's sewing with a couple of tried and tested patterns to get things off to a guaranteed good start. So here are my latest versions of the Jennifer Lauren Gable top and the Helen's Closet Winslow culottes...


I've really enjoyed wearing Gable tops and dresses this autumn/winter, which in part was prompted by spending a week wearing them for OWOP at the end of last year, and I knew that another one would definitely fit in well to my wardrobe. This one is made using some lovely Cotton and Steel jersey that I bought from Sew Me Sunshine. It's on the pricey side for my fabric buying budget, but sometimes it's worth splashing out for something that you know you're going to love sewing and wearing. 

Gable top worn with my Freja dress and a Pink Coat Club Seamstress pin

I haven't made any changes since I sewed my first Gable top, so all the details in that blog post still apply (I've just noticed that I said in that post that I might slim down the sleeves - I haven't subsequently felt any need to do that!).


Now onto the Winslow culottes (and I'm sorry, I had to cover the Gable top up with my purple cardigan - it was just too chilly without it!). My original cord Winslow culottes were a bit of an experiment, but happily that experiment had a very successful outcome and I wear them fairly frequently in autumn/winter. One of the main benefits being that culottes are much less prone to (although not always immune from!) blowing up in the wind than all my full skirts!

This version is sewn using some beautiful aqua babycord from SewLoco (a fairly new UK-based online fabric shop - check out the lovely fabrics that Lucy has available if you haven't already!).


I made a slight change to the pattern for this version of the Winslow culottes. After the problems I had with the invisible zip on my first cord Winslows, this time I decided to split the waistband piece into two (in the pattern, the waistband is folded over on itself to create the facing). I then cut the waistband itself in the babycord and cut the second waistband piece in some Tana lawn (left over from making my Vogue 9239 dress last summer) to use as the facing. 


Doing this reduced the bulk at the waistband seam, and meant that using an invisible zip was no problem. While there's nothing wrong with the regular zip I used in my navy culottes to get round the waistband bulk problem, I do prefer the look of the invisible zip that I've used here.


So all in all, I think I can safely say that this year's sewing has started successfully. I know that both my Gable top and my Winslow culottes will be worn a lot, and it's an added bonus that they look pretty good together! How's your sewing been going lately?

6 comments:

  1. love that jersey - looks like this gable would coordinate with lots of things ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - that's the plan! I like it when a top goes with lots of things!

      Delete
  2. I know I've said this before, but I love those Winslow culottes! Funnily enough, I was tidying up my sewing room last night, and found my Megan Neilsen Tania culottes pattern, and one of these fine days I will make them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne! Haha, I have a couple of patterns like that in my stash - one day we'll get to them! :)

      Delete
  3. I love how you've styled your gable top and culottes, they really suit you. I was gutted to discover the gable top didn't work for me (the slash neck made me feel uncomfortable) as I love how it looks on others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! That's a shame that the Gable didn't work for you. I had a similar problem with the Coco dress/top - most of the sewing world seems to love that pattern but it just did nothing for me!

      Delete

Please leave a comment - it's always great to hear from you!